Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Review: Second Sight

My Synopsis:

Second Sight (Arcane Society Series - Book 1) by Amanda Quick (a.k.a. Jayne Ann Krentz)

(Audio book from the Library)

Venetia Milton is called to Arcane House to photograph artifacts that the secret society has gathered in it’s two century history. Her employer, Gabriel Jones is more than Venetia could ask for and she begins a plan to seduce him.

Venetia believed that one night of passion would satisfy her, but when she hears of Gabriel’s death she is shocked. She takes on his name, calling herself Mrs. Jones as she prepares to support her family with a photography business in London.

When Gabriel shows up very much alive, Venetia must use her “second sight” to help him find a killer who would go to any length to possess one of the ancient artifacts. Will Venetia and Gabriel find love? Who is the mysterious killer? What secret does Gabriel hold that could change everything?

My Thoughts:

I liked the idea of the Arcane Society series upon first hearing about it. Jayne Ann Krentz, using the pen name Amanda Quick writes the Historical Fiction titles in the series and uses her own name for the Contemporary romance titles in the series. Very interesting way to go about doing a Series.

This was a good book. I had no idea that it had some paranormal elements until I began reading it and that was a very nice surprise. I liked the idea that Venetia could read a person’s ‘aura’ and learn things about them. Gabriel’s psychical abilities were harder to define, but very interesting as well.

Jayne Ann Krentz is a great writer and her attention to detail was very apparent in this book. Her descriptions of the scenes were fantastic. I could just imagine, Arcane house, and Venetia’s photography studio with ease.

The secondary characters like Edward, Beatrice, and Amelia add interest to the story and insight into the characters. I’m very intrigued by this series after reading the first one. We’ll have to see how the historical and the contemporary mix.

I give this one 3 out of 5 apples from my book bag! I liked it, but I think I was more interested in the series as a whole than the book by itself.


5 comments:

NerdyMe said...

sounds like an intersting book. Nice review.

throuthehaze said...

I like the paranormal element, it makes it sounds pretty interesting.

dobby said...

I agree that the book was more of a series builder than a romance centered one.

EVA SB said...

I like the sound of a story about the Archane society and what a lovely evocative name - Venetia

Shy said...

I think romance with tinge of mystery theme has been rather common this days. Not sure this would be something I'd really like.