Monday, February 1, 2010

Review: Songs Of Deliverance

My Synopsis:

Songs of Deliverance by Marilynn Griffin continues the story of Zeely, Ron, Grace and Brian and all the other people who interact in their lives from Griffin's novel Rhythms of Grace. This novel ties together all the stories that left readers wanting more. It can be read and easily understood as a stand alone book as well.

Zeely and Ron face the fact that they are both in love with each other, yet they are engaged to other people. Their relationship is one of loss and heartache, yet at it's center there is a deep abiding love for each other and their faith.

Grace struggles with who she really is and must face up to her past and the circumstances that brought her back to the town of Testimony. Brian watches and waits as he tries to help Grace find the true meaning of love.

My Thoughts:

This book has many layers. The story of each character is intertwined with the other in complicated and interesting ways. I found myself wondering who was related to who and how many twists and turns the story would make.

It seemed as though the action in the story began on the first page and never stopped. Revelation after revelation continued on each page. It was a bit daunting to try to figure out how the story would end. The fast paced rhythm was different from most novels and definitely kept me interested.

The issue of faith in this book was handled in a very open manner. It was central to the story and tied everything together. The characters explored how they felt about their faith and how that faith was to be manifest in their daily lives. I found this refreshing.

Another underlying theme of the book was tolerance and being able to judge people, not based on what color they were or where they came from, but on their hearts and what they believed and did in their lives.

Available January 2010 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

Overall I thought this was a wonderful book. I give it 4 out 5 apples from my Book Bag.



2 comments:

Rick said...

You are a wonderful book reviewer! I've been doing research for a story for a couple of weeks (circa Civil War era), and it was so nice to come up for air and see something that makes me want to go grab a book to read!

justpeachy36 said...

Thanx, Rick

I appreciate your confidence in me as a reviewer. I just call'em like I see'em! LOL...