Saturday, September 25, 2010

Steampunk Challenge

As some of you may have noticed there is a new challenge on my sidebar. I love challenges and I think I am going to be able to complete the ones that I entered this year, except for my library challenge. I had some trouble with that one due to the huge amount of review books I receive. But, I'm making strides to add books to my reading that I'm just reading because I want to, so next year darn it... I'm going to complete that one as well.

But, now as you can see, I've stumbled upon a new one, that I just can't seem to resist. I've been considering reading some Steampunk novels for awhile now, most notably, The Parasol Protectorate series. This challenge gives me that little nudge I need into a new sub-genre that I've been wanting to explore.

The challenge is being hosted by Rikki at The Bookkeeper. Click here to go to the sign up page. It's very lenient. You can pick the amount of books you want to read. They can be in whatever format you prefer, including audio books and anthologies. It's really all about exposing ourselves to something new or something you just really enjoy. I am totally going to need lots of recommendations on what to read and there is a page specifically for recommendations. Click here to go to the recommendations page.

I'd like to challenge you to consider something a little outside your comfort zone with this one. Join me in this challenge and I'm sure we'll have lots to talk about.

I'm going to try to read at least 5 Steampunk books over the next year. I know that's a pretty low number, but I'm not real sure about it yet. I may amp up the total later on, once I get into it. So let me know what you suggest I read and be sure to go over to The Bookkeeper and sign up for yourself.

I will also be adding the Steampunk Challenge to my book list for the year, so you can follow along or see which books I've read for the challenge. You'll be able to look at my list by clicking on the sidebar where it says "Book List" or by clicking here.

Wish me luck!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the challenge. I'm also participating. Not sure how many I will go for, but 5 seems a good number.

I'm totally new to this genre so I'm looking forward to exploring it.

Rikki said...

Thanks for spreading the word, Debbie. 5 is a good number, you can always add to it later on.

justpeachy36 said...

I'm looking forward to getting started. I've been wanting to branch out into this sub-genre for awhile now.

Magical Animal Tour said...

I love challenges too. But I get myself into HUGE TBR piles, that I just cant keep my head above them all. So I've only stuck to 2 challenges & will most likely be working on them all my life. But they are both big lists. Maybe I'll give this one a try & keep it small.

Julie said...

I've been wanting to get into this genre as well, and "Soulless" was the one that was recommended to me by a fellow book-lover, so The Parasol Protectorate series is one that's already on my wishlist. I'm going to take a look at how the challenge is structured and likely join in. (I think I'm going to have to make a separate page for my challenges, and only have the progress bars on my sidebar for ones I'm currently in, as I'm finding that I really do like participating in them). I'm also thinking of re-reading "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen".

Julie @ Knitting and Sundries

justpeachy36 said...

That's great! I think you should both join. The rules are very simple, you just read as much as you want to... so it's not like some challenges that are really confining... I can't wait to get started. I'm going to start with Soulless as well.