Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Teaser Tuesday (39)

Teaser Tuesday is a bookish meme hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along. Just do the following:

Grab your current read.
Open to a random page.
Share two (2) "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page.
BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (Make sure what you share doesn't give too much away! You don't want to ruin the book for others!)
Share the title and the author too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR lists if they like your teasers.

I generally do things a little bit differently. I usually read and review up to 5 or 6 books a week and I like to post a teaser from each one. This week is extra big as I've got a few reviews to catch up on, so I've got two a day planned from these 12 books...

All I Ever Wanted by Kristan Higgins, page 100. My Grandfather scowled - Santa with a pounding hangover. "Do I have to?" he asked. "Seem to remember I can't stand half the people in my own family."

Desiree: The Bestselling Story of Napoleon's First Love by Annamarie Selinko, page 271. "You see, even an ignorant little girl like you asks this question. Naturally they couldn't hold Finland. The Finns, and with them the Swedes will be bled to death in such a struggle.

A Chesapeake Shores Christmas by Sherryl Woods, page 39. "No, you just said it's your way, period. This isn't going to work, Mick, not if we can't work through things like this together.

Dewey's Nine Lives: The Legacy of the Small-Town Library Cat Who Inspired Millions by Vicki Myron, page 210. She may have beaten me with a curling iron. She may have yelled and cursed me. But my big sister loved me. Even I knew that, even at the time. Those fights were our way of dealing with our fears and frustrations.

Bobo's Daughter: One Woman's Journey to Find Hope, Healing and the Father behind the Face Paint by Bonnie Barnett, page 137. When we'd exhausted our list of dog names, I laughingly said, "Maybe his name is Spot," thinking that was such an obvious, corny name for him because of the See Spot Run - type books from first grade.

The Waiting by Suzanne Woods Fisher, page 152. ..."Jacob Swartz wanted me for my fine features. Said it would be nice to look at me each day. Never mind that he's thirty years older than me and I might not be as interested in looking at him..."

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare. "I have mastered many things in my life. Navigating the streets of London, speaking French without an accent, dancing the quadrille, the Japanese art of flower arranging, lying at charades, concealing a highly intoxicated state, delighting young women with my charms..." Tessa stared. "Alas," he went on "no one has ever actually referred to me as 'the master,' or 'the magister,' either. More's the pity..."

Wicked Company by Ciji Ware, page 239. His kiss was quite unlike her memory of Hunter's passionate embrace, but, whether the wine, the lavish banquet or the pleasant fellowship was responsible for her feeling of goodwill, Sophie yielded herself to the warmth of Peter's embrace, and the gentle, pleasurable sensations they evoked.

The Fairy Godmother by Mercedes Lackey. "... sometimes good people [are] helpless... terrible things happen... to good people... there [are] sad endings as well as happy ones."

Call Me Mrs. Miracle by Debbie Macomber, page 165. "This year is different," the older woman insisted. "You need to be there for your staff. After all, the toy department's the busiest of the whole store at Christmastime, And," she continued sagely, "I predict record sales this year. You staff needs to know you appreciate them."

Always: A Teen Devotional by Melody Carlson, page 83. There are several reasons people set up religious scams. Some frauds just want to get rich, and they know how to pick out people vulnerable to scams - people who are spiritually lost and desperate enough to believe they can buy their salvation.

Noah's Compass by Anne Tyler, page 170. "Not much to discuss. I come in yesterday from the gym, she's talking on the phone in this low sexy voice. "I'm home!" I call, and quick as a flash she says into the phone, 'Fine, let's make that two o'clock. Shampoo and a trim." In a voice that's totally different, real efficient and bossy; like she'd use with her beautician.

5 comments:

fredamans said...

Some great teasers there!

http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2010/10/teaser-time_11.html

Julie said...

Some great books! Clockwork Angel is definitely finding it's way into my Not So Bebe Girl Autumn's Christmas book box, and Noah's Compass and Desiree look to be right up MY alley! Thanks for the teasers! Here's mine: http://jewelknits.blogspot.com/2010/10/teaser-tuesdays-october-12-2010.html

Julie @ Knitting and Sundries

Miss Page-Turner said...

Whoa so many teasers! But I like the Clockwork Angel quote most, because I LOVED this book:)
If you like to check out mine: http://misspageturnerscityofbooks.blogspot.com/2010/10/teaser-tuesday-2.html

Unknown said...

You have some great books here that I'm really interested in reading...Krista Higgins, All I Ever Wanted sounds like a fun read; Dewey's Nine Lives is definitely right up my alley! And Anne Tyler's books are always wonderful! I love the cover of Debbie Macomber's book & hope to read it during the Christmas season!

~ Amy

audreygeddes said...

These are all so great. I especially like the Clockwork Angel teaser. Thanks for sharing these :}. Here's mine from David A. Cleinman's new novel called, "Principle Destiny," about a young woman who must fight to gain kingship. It has beautiful scenery, unique locations, and strong characters, which has kept my interest all the way through:

Skenter wanted her dead. There was no doubt of that. Tobias wanted someone to rescue him from a fate worse than death, and despite his words, she knew that he hoped, beyond hope, that it would be her.