Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Teaser Tuesday (43)

Teaser Tuesday is a weekly bookish meme hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along. Just do the following:

Grab your current read.
Open to a random page.
Share two (2) "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page.
BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (Make sure what you share doesn't give too much away! You don't want to ruin the book for others!)
Share the title and the author too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR lists if they like your teasers.

I generally do things a little differently. Since I read and review several books a week, I put up a teaser from every book that will be featured on my blog during this week. Here are this weeks teasers:

Roses by Leila Meacham, page 300. Not so much as a cowlick of Ollie had found it's way into the physical makeup of the child. He was a Toliver from the narrow, elegant feet to the cap of rich black hair on the well-shaped head.

A Woman and Her Workplace by Rosemary Flaaten, page. If all it takes for people to feel cared for is five minutes once a week for five weeks, we've lost our argument that we don't have time. Certainly we have a fiduciary responsibility to not be spending our work hours on personal business, but meeting a colleague on the way to the restroom or a coffee break discussion could be a perfect opportunity to show interest in someone.

Kasey to the Rescue by Ellen Rogers, page 10. I didn't care if it was accurate; it was hope, something to grab on to, and I would take it. Perched on this narrow outcrop of clinical answers and hedged bets, I needed some kind of hand hold.

The Forever Queen by Helen Hollick, page 428. Turned out in their hundreds to watch the unique spectacle of a woman being burnt alive - it had been an interesting show, the woman cursing Cnut until the thick smoke had enveloped her, and even then her shrieks had continued for some good while - the crowds had elected to remain and pay respect to the coffin as it passed by.

Moonlight Bleu by Renee Rearden, page 234. "I'm not going to change my mind, Dhelis. I meant it when I said I wanted to get to know you. The only way we can pursue a relationship is if we get this - " she flopped hr hand back and forth - "thing between us under control."

The Legacy of Pemberley by Rebecca Ann Collins, page 19. A mild spring followed by a warm summer gave Emily Courtney a somewhat longer lease on life than had been expected, but in the end, having fulfilled her wish to see her son married, she faded quickly, leaving many grieving, not just among her family and friends bu throughout the district, for Emily had spent much of her life in their service.

6 Rainer Drive by Debbie Macomber, page 305. "I don't mind telling you what joy Katie has brought Joe and me," she said smiling at the little girl and her husband. "She's given us new lease on life. We'd always heard how precious grandchildren were, but we had no idea it would be anything like this."

7th Heaven by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro, page 60. "This is Latin," I said to my partner, sounding out the words. "Annuit Coeptis." "That's pronounced chep-tus," Conklin said. "It's the motto inscribed on the dollar bill right above that symbol of the pyramid thing with the eye. Annuit Coeptis. "Providence favors our undertaking."

The Phoenix Charm by Helen Taylor Scott, page 1. The sun sank into the Atlantic, painting the water molten gold and casting a warm glow over the granite manor house set atop the rocky cliffs of Cornwall. After years of neglect, Trevelion Manor, ancestral home of the Cornish pisky troop, now thrived under the care of the new pisky king and queen.

Fire Burn and Caldron Bubble, by H.P. Mallory, page 1. Considering the possibility that someone might be hiding, I swallowed the dread climbing up my throat. Glancing around, I searched for something to protect myself with in case said breaker-and-enterer decided to attack.

To Kill a Warlock by H.P. Mallory, page 1. "Can you fix it?" I asked, my voice coming out monster-deep. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised - I was a good seven feet tall, and with the substantial body mass, my voice could only be deep.

5 comments:

Beth F said...

Wow what a great variety.

Belinda said...

Looks like you read some great books each week :) I especially love the HP Mallory teasers but then again I'm a little biased !

You can find my teaser at The Bookish Snob

Kathy Martin said...

What a great variety of books you have! The Mallory ones are on my Kindle waiting for me. I have two teasers this week. My adult book teaser is from Play of Passion by Nalini Singh and my young adult book teaser is from Beautiful Darkness by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. Happy Reading!

fredamans said...

I have Roses and 7th Heaven.

http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2010/11/teaser-time_08.html

Unknown said...

Wow, what great teasers! I enjoyed the Debbie Macomber books!!They are always so heartwarming!