Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Review: The Magic Knot

My Synopsis:

The Magic Knot (The Magic Knot Fairies series - Book 1) by Helen Scott Taylor

(For review from the author)

Rosenwyn Tremain is in for more than a few surprises when her accounting firm sends her to Cornwall to investigate the finances of an inn that is having financial difficulties. She plans to use her extra time to find the father she has never known.

But, Tristian Jago isn't at what she expected. When Rose begins to learn about her roots as the Cornish pisky queen and how her father has imprisoned what remains of her troop, she is shocked and dismayed. The stones she wears around her neck, given to her by her mother, along with an ancient deck of Tarot cards, holds the key to her past, as well as her future.

Irish fairy twins, Niall and Michael along with the help of an old friend from the past, Nightshade must help Rose free her troop. Will her uncanny connection, through the magic knot to Niall end in pain or will true love prevail? Will Rose's father, Tristian get his ultimate revenge on the pisky troop? Will Nightshade, find redemption for his mistakes? You'll have to read to find out...

My Thoughts:

Helen Scott Taylor does a wonderful job of meshing the supernatural elements of this story. From the Cornwall countryside to the rolling hills of Ireland, it seems almost natural that there may be fairies living among us.

I am of Celtic heritage and I was very interested in what the writers take would be on some of the myths and legends of Ireland and Scotland, like fairies and Leprechauns. I was very pleased with her ideas and the storytelling was just excellent. I liked the book a lot. The idea of the magic knot was captivating. I found myself thinking about the bonds that are formed between people and how in a sense we can hold that person's happiness in our hands, like Rose when she was holding Niall's magic knot. Very cool!

I give this one 4 out of 5 apples from my book bag!


12 comments:

Helen Scott Taylor said...

Debbie, thank you for the lovely review. I'm delighted you enjoyed the book!

Helen

Kaylin McFarren said...

I've read this book as well and loved it, Helen. You have an incredible voice. :)

Darlyn said...

wow, this is sure has a great storyline..glad you like it Debbie!

Ellz said...

Great review, I have seen the cover for this before, but never read the summary. I didn't know it was a mystical read.

dobby said...

I've been really eager to read this. I love fantasy romance. Thanks for the review.

Martha Eskuchen said...

This is another good review. I especially wanted to read this as this is a book in my TBR pile! :o)

Llehn said...

Ooooo ... I really want to read this now! I can't wait to see what they've done with the setting and the supernatural elements!

Mystica said...

Dont normally go for the supernatural but you make it sound very interesting.

throuthehaze said...

This book sounds interesting :) I love the cover. Definitely something I will read

EVA SB said...

A Cornish seeting is enough to get me hooked! And that dash of supernatural makes this sound like an interesting read

misskallie2000 said...

Another great review. I love books with celtic stories.


misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com

Shy said...

This certainly sounds like a different kind of romance. I've read a romance between a lady and magician before but not like any of this supernatural stuffs. Interesting indeed! Might have to keep my eyes open for this particular author since I've never read anything by her before either.