Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Review: The Various Haunts Of Men

My Synopsis:

The Various Haunts of Men by Susan Hill

(Simon Serrailer Mystery series - Book 1)

(For review from Overlook Press)

British author, Susan Hill weaves a chilling story set in the small cathedral town of Lafferton. Filled with strange disappearances, the New Age movement and alternative medicine, The Various Haunts of Men will leave a lingering impression.

Freya Graffham came to Lafferton seeking a new start, peace and quiet, a change from hustle and bustle of her London career as a police officer. But, when she meets Chief Inspector, Simon Serrailer she finds herself out of her element. His quiet demeanor and commanding presence seem to draw her in and she soon finds herself in love.

Her mind is torn between Simon and a lonely woman, whose disappearance she is investigating. When others quickly begin to disappear, Freya fears that they may be linked. Will she and Simon explore the possibility of a relationship? Is Lafferton dealing with a serial killer or just an odd coincidence?

My Thoughts:

This was very intriguing book. It explored the idea of alternative medicine and how disciplines like acupuncture and complementary treatments can go hand in hand with regular medicine. The New Age movement with it's spiritual healers and "psychic" surgeons is definitely interesting.

I liked the way Hill, was able to develop Freya Graffham's character and make the reader understand her motivation in not only moving to Lafferton but in her search for Angela Randall. She seemed to have some strange connection with this woman, that wouldn't let her file the case away as just another missing person. That's the kind of detective I would want!

Hill was able to give the reader a glimpse into the tangled and warped mind of a serial killer through the taped confessional. It was chilling and as the name of the novel implies, haunting. The book started a little slow for me, but when it did pick up speed, it barreled to a startling conclusion that I certainly wasn't prepared for, but seemed only fitting.

The Various Haunts of Men is available from your favorite bookseller now.

Overall I would give this one a 4 out of 5 apples from my book bag!


11 comments:

Cat said...

I like this series of Susan Hills but haven't read this one. Will have to keep my eye out for it.

vvb32 reads said...

the title itself is intrigueing. and i'm curious about the alternative medicine you mention.

btw: you've been awarded ;-D
http://vvb32reads.blogspot.com/2010/02/most-amazing-follower-award.html

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

This sounds like a good one Debbie; great review.

Llehn said...

This sounds intriguing. I've never read a book that explores alternative medicine before.

ck.twilighter (Chasity) said...

I love when reviewers mention if/when the start of books are slow because then I know that the good stuff is soon coming=)

I also like the idea of alternative and mainstream medicine working hand in hand. I live in Hawaii. I am a local girl and we, locals, have home remedies. Natural herbs and or massage techniques, etc. And so I know first hand that more can be done then just getting an Rx.

Anyhow, thank you for an honest and what I call... short and sweet review.


btw, i would like to extend an award to your blog:
http://lll808.blogspot.com/2010/03/yummy-my-first-award.html

dobby said...

I'll keep an eye out for this. It sounds interesting - and creepy.

Martha Eskuchen said...

Sounds interesting although it doesn't grab me right now.

throuthehaze said...

Sounds like an okay read. great review

EVA SB said...

I like English detective mysteries. sounds interesting.

misskallie2000 said...

This sounds like a great detective book (english no less!) Great review..and I love mystery, suspense and sitting on the edge of my seat. LOL

misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com

Shy said...

I'm not really a big fan of mystery book so I'm not sure if this book is something for me. Though, I'm a little curious as to what is the connection between this alternative medicine stuffs with the mystery in the book. Hurm...