Monday, March 1, 2010

Review: Pride and Prejudice

My Synopsis:

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

(Audio book from the Library)

Elizabeth Bennet is one of five daughters whose mother is intent on marrying them off. When Elizabeth meets the wealthy and haughty Mr. Darcy, she is less than impressed. Her strong will and independence seem out of place and undesirable to Mr. Darcy as well, at first, but he soon finds himself hopelessly in love with Elizabeth.

Elizabeth believes him to be the cause of her older sisters unhappiness, in regard to the man she loved. He also seems to be behind the misfortunes of friend, Mr. Wickham. Elizabeth soon finds out that not only is Mr. Wickham not what he appeared, but neither is Mr. Darcy. Her opinion of him gradually changes and she accepts that she has fallen in love with him.

One of Jane Austen's most beloved novels, Pride and Prejudice has seen many film adaptations as well as spawned many spin-off novels and movies. It is story about misunderstandings and the power of love to overcome any obstacle.

My Thoughts:

I really enjoyed Pride and Prejudice. I had never read anything by Jane Austen before, though I had always meant to. I usually am not a proponent of seeing a movie before I read the book, but in this case that's what happened. I saw the version of Pride and Prejudice with Kiera Knightley and fell in love with it. After listening to this audio book and watching the film again, I was surprised at how similar they were.

Jane Austen is obviously an extraordinary writer and is loved by many. I thought her descriptions of the characters and their development was really exceptional. She made the time-period come alive. I could just imagine the grand balls and the stir that Mrs. Bennet must have created with her matchmaking.

Overall I would give this one a definite 5 out of 5 apples from my book bag!


8 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tales of Whimsy said...

Great review. Beautiful cover :)

D Swizzle said...

We *all* love Jane Austen. She is, simply...amazing. Try Emma next.

Llehn said...

Elizabeth and Darcy are one of my fav couples :D

jellybelly82158 said...

Great review

dobby said...

Who doesn't love this book?! I love Jane Austen. Persuasion was also great.

throuthehaze said...

This has always been one of my favorite books :)

EVA SB said...

This is my all time favourite book and definitely deserves the 5 apples.

I so glad you enjoyed it.