Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Review: The Promise of Morning

My Synopsis:

The Promise of Morning (At Home In Beldon Grove series -Book 2) by Ann Shorey

(For review from Revell)

Ellie Craig has endured a parents worst nightmare with the deaths of three young children and a loneliness that even her husband cannot seem to fill. Finding out that the father she barely remembers has recently died gives her hope that she may have other siblings in far off Texas. Against her families better judgement she enlists the help of a man with less than scrupulous morals.

Matthew Craig, Ellie's husband has problems of his own, in the church he pastors. A controversy over a Shakespearean performance puts Matthew at odds with his congregation and most of the town. When a man claiming to be the son of the town founder appears on the scene with sophistication and elegance, Matthew must decide whether he should fight to reclaim his church or let this man take over. Will Ellie find the family she longs for? Will Matthew find the courage to fight for what he believes?

My Thoughts:

This is a book about overcoming tragedy and moving forward. It's about finding the strength within in yourself to live again even when you think it's impossible. During the time period of this novel is was not uncommon to loose children at a young age, either from accidents or infectious diseases. Doctors were usually not close at hand and children could suffer just from picking up something off the ground. I felt a lot of sympathy for Ellie. I could not imagine what it would be like to bury not one but three small children. During my grandfathers time, he lost 4 siblings to Measles all under the age of 5 years old. But, this book isn't about loss, it's about finding the courage to go on and not just survive but really live and enjoy life.

Matthew has a struggle of a different kind. But he still has to have the courage to face down opposition in his life. It's easy to see how he would be intimidated by Mr. Beldon, who obviously has more wealth and sophistication than Matthew and makes him feel like he is less of a person. It is always hard to stand up for what you believe in. But, this book shows that if you stand, others will stand with you. But, even if they don't, doing what is right is more important than the consequences.

I liked this book a lot. I give it 4 out of 5 apples from my book bag and look forward to the next installment in the series.

Available March 2010 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.


4 comments:

Ellz said...

Great review. This doesn't look like something I would normally pick up, but I may give it a try.

Ann Shorey said...

Hi Debbie,
Thank you so much for the great review of The Promise of Morning! I'm so glad you liked it.
BTW, your blog is gorgeous!
Blessings,
Ann

Shy said...

The basic theme of this book is rather intriguing. Lovely to read another book about lady handling obstacles in her life. Great review!

tracysbooknook.com said...

Although I love Ann Shorey, I found that "A Promise of Morning" to be emotionally difficult.

Being a Pastor’s wife myself, I find myself overly sensitive to the depiction of Pastors and their families. I did not enjoy the character of Pastor Matthew and did not like how he was such a “bull in a china shelf” and created judgements of others so quickly.

If you're interested, I have more to say on my site at www.tracysbooknook.com.

-Tracy