Friday, June 4, 2010

Interview: John Walker (2)

I recently got the chance to ask John Walker, the author of Freedom's Call a few questions about himself and his new book. Let's welcome, John Walker!

Deb: Tell us a little bit about yourself and how you got into writing.
John: Having been in broadcasting for 40 years in many capacities, one of my favorite was copy writing. It came natural to me and I put together many successful advertising and promotional campaigns for clients of the radio station I was employed with and for clients of my own company 3db Productions. I also am a musician, and lyric writing was a release for me from the commercial copy writing. I never pursued my own songwriting on a major professional level but helped many other musicians edit and arrange their music and lyrics. I sort of fell into writing "Freedom's Call" by accident. I had written a children's book, yet unpublished, and a work I call Contem-Plato, a group of mind musings and poetry, and then while building a balsa wood intricate birdhouse, I had to let the glue dry for an hour on a repetitive basis so I took up a pad and pencil and "Freedom's Call" was born.

Deb: What was your inspiration for your latest novel, Freedom's Call? Have you always been interested in politics or political thrillers?
John: "Freedom's Call" was inspired by many conversations with a close knit group of fishing buddies around the circle of stones each year on our annual fishing trip. I didn't set out to write a political thriller, but the conversations always turned to discussions about our country and government and how it effected us. As a broadcaster, being always aware of current events, I formed many opinions about what was going on especially during the Vietnam war. The Social Security issues of friends of mine and also conversations with my personal barber were also an influence. Looking ahead towards retirement and the lack of preparation on my part for it, was a major concern at the time of writing "Freedom's Call." My opinion is that we should all be interested in the political landscape and how it will or could effect us.

Deb: What kind of research did you have to do for this book? Any sources you could tell us about?
John: Since the book is fiction I did very little research. The military protocol, and equipment, were researched through various Internet sources and my military friend's experience. My ideas about how we should go back to the Bill of Rights and the original Constitution were basically opinions of myself and my friends. I did read the Bill of Rights and research the original Constitution to form the ideas, especially in the Epilogue. I'm a science-fiction fan and always been intrigued with technology. The science fiction of today seems to be a precursor to the reality of tomorrow. Look how far we've come in the last three decades with our technology. Imagine how it may be 100 years from now.

Deb: Tell us about your experience with the publication of Freedom's Call. What was the process like?
John: I really had not planned to publish "Freedom's Call" until a dear friend at the time encouraged me to submit it. It has been a real challenge for me. I help my aging parents and the editing process took a great deal of time away from duties that I'm still doing around the 'ranch' as I call it. I've been lead, gratefully, by the experienced professionals surrounding me in the process and their hand holding has made it relatively simple.

Deb: What is your normal writing day like? Do you have to have certain things in place to write comfortably?
John: At this point, besides my normal duties, my time in the mornings are spent writing the blog for my website, www.authorjohnwalker.com >http://www.authorjohnwalker.com> http://www.authorjohnwalker.com>, returning emails, setting up book signing events, etc. I also allow myself an hour at least to dwell on the next project. It is formulating in there somewhere, and I'm having quite a time trying to decide which way my next contribution will be going. So, I would say, I really don't have a normal writing day as such. I also do not have my old woodshed to write in, however, my fiance has a Tee Pee in her back yard which is where I think the next project will be written. I have a pad and pen at the ready at all times, which I use to jot down my ideas. When I do begin my next project and get on task with it, I will set aside a couple of hours each day and probably distract myself from dwelling on the writing by doing some trivial project again. It helps me focus on the stew in my head if you get my drift.

Deb: What kind of advice would you give to new and upcoming writers?
John: Well, this being my first published work, I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer that question. However, I will say, write about things you love, use your experiences in life, and be a good listener

Deb: When you are not writing, what types of books do you like to read? Do you have a favorite author?
John: I am a science-fiction nut. However, I like real-life adventures. I also am into self-help and spiritual writings. When I was a child I have to admit that I liked the Nancy Drew mystery series. I also have read every book Louis L'Amour wrote. My favorite author of all time is Robert Heinlein. "Fear no Evil" was a favorite of mine. I recently read Jack Ford's book "The Osiris Alliance" and found his detective story a fast and fun read. "The Intuitive Warrior" by Michael Jaco is my most recent read and I would recommend it to anyone.

Deb: What are you working on right now?
John: My time right now is mostly taken up with the promotion of "Freedom's Call," but I'm formulating some ideas to possibly continue in a similar vein in my next offering. I can't say I have a definite direction at this point.

Deb: Can we look for other books about Johnny Locker?
John: Johnny Locker is over 60. I have been considering him as an opening character and adviser in another politically oriented piece of fiction, however, I'm not sure at the moment. It is a distinct possibility if "Freedom's Call" is well received.

Deb: Tell us something that most people don't know about you?
John: One of my favorite people walking this planet is Wayne Dyer. I would love to have a one-on-one with him. His spiritual insight is encouraging. I meditate daily. Hey ... that's two things.

No comments: