Friday, June 25, 2010

Review: The Making of a Duchess

My Synopsis:

The Making of a Duchess (Sons of the Revolution series - Book 1) by Shana Galen

(For review from Sourcebooks)

Sarah Smith feels totally out of her element when she is asked to take on a secret mission as a spy. She goes from being a governess to being the daughter of a French aristocrat in order to find proof that, Julien Harcourt, duc de Valere is a traitor selling English secrets to France. Being an orphan, Sarah is unprepared when Julien asks her to marry him and become a part of his family. She quickly turns down his proposal and continues to try to find the proof she needs as her contacts within the Foreign Office become more and more impatient and dangerous.

Julien Harcourt, is a French aristocrat who was forced to leave his home during the Revolution, leaving behind his two brothers, Armand and Bastien. Julien has spent years going back and forth to France at peril to his own life, trying to find his brothers. Now he has information from a former servant that is his best lead. When the beautiful, Serafina enters his life, he feels he must do his duty and marry her to continue his family name and reek vengeance on those who tried to kill him. But, Julien is unprepared for his feelings for Serafina. Will Sarah find the proof she needs and Julien in? Will Julien find his brother Armand? Can the both see past the lies and find love? What is the secret that Sarah will find out about herself?

My Thoughts:

I am a great fan of historical fiction and this book really hit the spot. You have both the English Regency period and the French Revolution as the backdrop to this story. Shana Galen has done a wonderful job of portraying what French aristocrats may have gone through as they faced the demise of their way of life. How they were forced to flee for their lives and take up residence in other countries. This was a very interesting time period and I liked way Galen was able to give the reader that sense of urgency as Julien and his mother fled that night.

Julien was great character. He was honorable and honest and had all the qualities women look for. I enjoyed the banter between Julien and Serafina, showing a sense of humor in his character. I also liked the fact that he was loyal to his family. In this day and age that is so hard to find in families. Sarah's character was very endearing. An orphan that has made something of herself and become a governess. Then when pressed into service for her country to she takes on a mission that puts her own life in danger. I also liked that she was able to see the good in Julien and realize that there was no way he could be a traitor.

I really liked this book and I think you will too. I am giving away 2 copies of, The Making of a Duchess be sure to see the giveaway post!!! My interview with Shana was a pleasure as well.

I give this one 5 out of 5 apples from my book bag!

6 comments:

Jenny Girl said...

I loved this book too and also thought it was an HF novel.
Good review :)

Llehn said...

I love a book with good banter.

Rick said...

Your review convinced me- I'll give it a read.

justpeachy36 said...

I'm giving away 2 copies... check out the giveaway!

Darlyn said...

I love the book cover.. ;p

Shy said...

I've read books that set up in British Regency period, though one that has something French-y in it is something I definitely never come close before. The entire premise of the book looks enticing to me and knowing that there's sense of humour in between the character making me want to read this book even more.

Has been awhile since I read anything historical, guess I'll have to pick something up soon! Thanks for this review.