Saturday, October 16, 2010

On My Wish List (5)

This is a new meme that I am going to start participating in on Saturday's, hosted by Book Chick City. The idea is to spotlight books that we have on our Wish Lists. Books we really want to read but haven't had the chance to buy yet. They can be old or new books and a Mr. Linky is provided so that we can keep up with each others choices each week.

I generally choose three books a week. Here are my choices for this week:

Fragile by Lisa Unger. I chose this on as my pick for Waiting on Wednesday right when it was released. I love the cover and the story just sounds interesting to me.

Synopsis:

Everybody knows everybody in The Hollows, a quaint, charming town outside New York City. It's a place where neighbor's keep an eye on one another's kids, where people say hello in the grocery store, and where high school cliques and antics are never quite forgotten. As a child, Maggie found living under the microscope of small-town life stifling. But as a wife and mother, she has happily returned to The Hollows insular embrace. As a psychologist, her knowledge of family histories provides powerful insights into her patients' lives. So when the girlfriend of her teenage son, Rick, disappears, Maggie's intuitive gift proves useful to the case - and also dangerous.

Eerie parallels soon emerge between Charlene's disappearance and the abduction of another local girl that shook the community years ago when Maggie was a teenager. The investigation has her husband, Jones, the lead detective on the case, acting strangely. Rick, already a brooding teenager withdrawn. In a town where the past is always present, nobody is above suspicion, not even a son in the eyes of his father.

"I know how a moment can spiral out of control," Jones says to a shocked Maggie as he searches Rick's room for incriminating evidence. "How the consequences of one careless action can cost you everything."

As she tries to reassure him that Rick embodies his father in all the important ways, Maggie realizes this might be exactly what Jones fears most. Determined to uncover the truth, Maggie pursues her own leads into Charlene's disappearance and exposes a long-buried town secret - one that could destroy everything that she holds dear. This thrilling novel about one community's intricate yet fragile bonds will leave readers asking, How well do I know the people I love? and how far would I go to protect them?

Torment by Lauren Kate. Ahhh Yes, the sequel to Fallen. This is a must read for me, though I haven't picked it up yet.

Synopsis:

Hell on earth.

That's what it's like for Luce to be away from her fallen angel boyfriend, Daniel. It took them an eternity to find one another, but now he has told her he must go away. Just long enough to hunt down the Outcasts - immortals who want to kill Luce. Daniel hides Luce at Shoreline, a school on the rocky California coast with unusually gifted students: Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans.

At Shoreline, Luce learns what the Shadows are, and how she can use them as windows to her previous lives. Yet the more Luce learns, the more she suspects that Daniel hasn't told her everything. He's hiding something- something dangerous.

What if Daniel's version of the past isn't exactly true? What if Luce is really meant to be with someone else?

The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa. The second book in the Iron Fey series... all I can say is... I love a good series!

Synopsis:

Half Summer Faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter Faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron Fey - ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.

Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits to help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-to-human heart.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't wait to read Torment!

I would have passed Fragile over if I'd seen it in a book shop as the cover is just awful, but the synopsis sounds as though it would be a brilliant thriller.

Miss Page-Turner said...

Hope you'll get all those great books soon! Torment is on top of my wishlist, too:)

Mel said...

I've just purchased Fallen so hopefully I'll like it enought to get Torment at some point as well! :)

pussreboots said...

Iron Daughter's on my wishlist too. Here's what I'm wishing for this week.