Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday (1)

So, I've been trying to decide on a new Tuesday Meme. Don't get me wrong, I like Miz B's Teaser Tuesday but it wasn't a good fit for me, for a few reasons. I do still intend to post a teaser now and then though. In my search for a meme that I wanted to take part in, I started seeing Top Ten Tuesday popping up here and there.

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and Bookish each week. Each week bloggers post a themed list of their top ten, some lists included, Top Ten books you wanted from Santa, your Top Ten Blogging Resolutions for 2011, etc. etc. I'm a list maker too and I found that I was really enjoying reading everyone's lists each week, so I've decided to take the plunge and give it a try. I'm getting in late in the game this week, but next will be better.

This week's Top Ten list is: Top Ten Most Inspirational Characters.

If you'd like to participate follow the link to The Broke and The Bookish and sign-up with Mr. Linky. Here goes!

These are not in any particular order and I'm giving a one line explanation for my choices.

1.) Mr. Darcy - Pride and Prejudice
I think Darcy is inspiring because he was able to take Elizabeth's criticisms about his arrogance and his attitudes and for all intents purposes change his tune.

2.) Carlise Cullen - Twilight
I would think it would take more than just courage to go against what your heritage and your own body were demanding and take a different path.

3.) Scrooge - A Christmas Carol
This one can be summed up in one word: Redemption!

4.) Anne Shirley - Anne of Green Gables
Anne's outlook on life was inspiring in itself: Tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes in it!

5.) Claire - Outlander
Despite being thrown back into the past, Claire used her medical knowledge to help anyone she possibly could no matter the danger to herself.

6.) Sam - Lord of the Rings
There are not too many characters in literature that show us what true friendship means better than Sam.

7.) Jo March - Little Women
Jo was willing to sacrifice just about everything for her family, even her hair!

8.) Aliena - Pillars of the Earth
Aliena is a portrait of strength and determination, despite everything that happened to her, she persevered.

9.) Idgie Threadgood - Fried Green Tomatoes
Idgie helped a lot a people and sometimes she helped those that few others would have thought about.

10.) Jesus Christ - The Bible
Would you give up your life for someone else?

Next weeks theme is: Top Ten Books I wish I had Read as a Kid - In case you are thinking about participating!

Let me know what you think of the meme and my list for this week... I'd love to hear your thoughts on who the most inspiration characters in literature are to you!

3 comments:

Jenni Elyse said...

Ebenezer Scrooge made my list too. I thought of Carlisle afterward and he's a good candidate. I didn't put Jesus on my list because I figured He was a given. But, maybe that's too blase of me. I've heard of some of the other characters you've mentioned, but I've never read the book or series with them in it.

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I contemplated adding Mr. Darcy or Elizabeth Bennet but opting for Anne Elliot instead. I like your list and welcome to Top Ten Tuesday.

-Anne
My Head is Full of Books

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

Jo is on my list as well! Oh my goodness I cannot believe I forgot Idgie...talk about perseverence and grit!